Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Just a little overwhelmed...

As I sit here listening to our first African-American President, I am consumed with emotion…Yes I could still consider myself post-partum even with an 11 month-old, and I am moved by the sound of my husband and daughters “making tea” and chasing each other around the house as I make them dinner out of my first cast-iron Dutch oven given to me by my remarkable mother-in-law…but I am crying… and now to make things more inspired, my sister just called to inform me she got into Berkely’s School of Journalism…her dream school…
I am so damn proud of my little sister who thought she came from a family of mice, ran away from home with only her teddy bear weekly, and generally has been trying to save the world from an early age. And that my 62-yr-old mother is doing her first triathlon this year with myself and 4 other 30-something friends.
In this era of amazing change and compromise, and of course in my developmental I’m-30-and-have-kids-and-care-about-the-world decade, I am amazed by our complexities…and the simplicity of my 2 year old shoving Burt’s Bees in my face and asking “Shall we put on lipstick, Mommy?” Or how enthralled Logan, Matt and I were about how cool it looks when ice cracks under your feet on the Missoula Osprey’s baseball field as the pink sky reflected off Mount Jumbo and Sentinal reminding us what a beautiful place we live in. Or the pride and contentment I feel finding out that Logan got into the Preschool that we wanted to start in the Fall (and how amazed I am that my little suckling baby will turn 3 in 6 months)…Oh, how the life we live flys by and only a couple years from now I will look back with a much different perspective and of course 20/20 vision.

1 comment:

erica said...

This is such a cool photo. I was listening to the inaugeration while driving to Sheridan for a job. I was crying for miles and miles. It was a beautiful Montana day. It all felt sooo right.
Great posts! Look what you've had bottled up inside!